Merri-bek has a proud history of being a leader in environmental sustainability. During 2020-2021 there were a number of key achievements including:
Read the report that highlights the achievements in 2020/21 across key sustainability strategy areas (excluding transport) for :
- Zero Carbon Merri-bek (ZCM) Climate Emergency Action Plan
- Waste and Litter Strategy (W&LS)
- Integrated Water Management (IWM) Strategy / Action Plan
- Sustainable design in new developments through the planning process and Council’s building projects team
- Urban Heat Island Effect (UHIE) Action Plan.
These plans contribute to achieving the Vision and Strategic Objectives of the Council Plan 2017 – 2021 to:
- Enhance liveability, affordability and sustainability by guiding growth, and excellence in urban design and development.
- Enhance the environmental outcomes of Council waste services and increase the communities’ awareness/participation in environmental initiatives to reduce waste to landfill.